Thursday, October 31, 2013

Photo-Escapism / Photo Therapy






Okay, let’s face it: What I do, and have been doing for a number of years now, could fairly be described as Photo-Escapism. That is to say, as a sensitive human being and therefore only too aware of all of the (seemingly increasing) Sorrow, Pain, Negativity, Inequality, and Environmental Degradation of today’s world, my response is to grab my camera and search out the beauty in some detail of Nature or some idealized scene as a kind of alternative response to despair and modern alienation.



Many years ago I started off naive and idealistic enough thinking my photography might make a difference in showing people the beauty of the world they were in the process of destroying. But by now I’ve pretty much given up on that, seeing the way things are going, and leaving aside any delusions of making such a difference, as I might have once had, I just try to create strong images to please myself (and hopefully others who enjoy my work). One of my teachers (Minor White, 1908-1976) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1966, taught us that if you can quiet yourself down enough to make a connection with the subject, and everything else is just right, the resulting image can be therapeutic; that is my goal.



Skyline-Dr




Calcite-Stalactite---1-copy




Oftentimes in our lives, our choices are limited. Photography (and especially “Photo-Escapism”) is ALL about making choices: Subject Selection & Treatment. Finally, a part of your life where you do have some control!



Horny-The-Hornet---2-copy




Remember now, I’m not trying to paint any other photographer with this particular brush, but only to provide some insight into the how and why behind my work.



So there you have it. Sorry I can’t be more up-beat and sanguine about the future, but that’s how it is for me. Since there is beauty all around us and terrible things too, I think I’ll continue to “focus” on The Beauty.



Shenandoah-river-fog-copy






Skeletonized-Leaf-in-Rain-copy






Smoke-Tree-Flower- copy






Snow-on-Branches---2-copy






Spider-on-Web-copy






Sprouting-Onion-copy-copy






Stibnite-and-Calcite-copy






Stream-Fence-copy






Winter-Deck-copy






Zion-N.P






Baby--Skink--with-Tick-copy






Bare-Branch-Trees-copy






Bikey-2013-copy






Braided Sansevieria cylindrica-copy






Cactus-copy








Calcite---3-copy






Cobaltian-Calcite-copy






Colorful-Sunset-copy






Coral-Mushroom---3-copy






Dahlia-Detail-copy






DB-in-Brown-Towel-copy






Fireweed






Fountain-Grass-copy






Fungi-2013---5-copy






Hematite-Coated-Calcite-copy






Hoh-Water-Reflections






Humming-bird-in-Nest---4-copy






Kiwi-Fruit-copy






Leaves-on-Water-copy






Leaving-Hoh-Rainforest






Money-Plant---2-copy






Pyrcantha-copy






Red-Calcite-Stalactite-copy






Rio-2012-copy






Saddleback-Caterpillar-copy






Sardines-copy






Sea-Star-Sedum-copy-copy






Praying-Mantis-on-Hand-copy






Setting-Sun---0-copy






All mineral specimens in this post are from the world-class Victor Yount Collection.



Warren Krupsaw


Warren Krupsaw, a one-time student (and house guest) of Ansel Adams is a nature photographer concentrating on landscape & detail. After participating in the first year of a new graduate program in Photography at M.I.T. with Minor White, he earned his M.F.A. in Photography under Harry Callahan at the R.I.S.D. in 1968.
Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/thekrupgallery
Book: Portraits of Passion and Other Dalliances


No comments:

Post a Comment