Saturday, July 19, 2014

Moving to the Canon EOS 5D Mark II


I'm cameraless for the first time. All my Canon crop bodies (40D / 50D) and EF-S lenses have been shipped back to Adorama's used department for trade-in on a new EOS 5D Mark II. It feels kind of strange not to be carrying around a DSLR everyday and not having ANY camera to call my own right now. I suspect it will take a few days before the withdrawal symptoms subside and I begin to feel normal again. I knew going "cold-turkey" was going to be tough!



Canon EOS 5D Mark II




Several folks have asked why I decided to go "full-frame" and the answer may surprise you a bit. As I've gotten older, my eyesight has become an issue and the incredibly clear and bright viewfinder on Canon's full frame cameras really makes a difference in my ability to focus the camera during landscape and nature photography. Looking through my 50D's viewfinder with my glasses on was a real pain at times.



Of, course the resolution (21 MP) and image quality are said to be quite incredible according to folks like Matt Brandon and David duChemin, and that's a big draw for most photographers, myself included. But this was a big decision for me. I had to trade-in my Canon 40D and 50D bodies as well as two EF-S series lenses before I could afford to look at the 5D Mark II. This will be my only body for quite some time and the thought of having no back-up body does make me a little nervous. But if the results are half as good as I've seen, this will be a camera I keep for many years to come.



Posted in Photography Tagged: Canon, Canon 5D Mark II, Photography



No comments:

Post a Comment